The Gilman Scholarship Program application has opened for 2023!
What is the Gilman Scholarship Program?
Primarily UC Merced students will pursue the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship for study abroad or an academic internship abroad. Worth up to $5,000, or even $8,000 if you study a critical language, the program intends to support US students with limited financial means to study or intern abroad.
The primary qualifications include being a US citizen at the time of participation and to receive the Pell Grant (a need-based form of financial aid through the FAFSA and our Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships).
Why do we push the Gilman Program?
No other study abroad award is as broadly available to UC Merced students with a comparable award rate. Many UC Merced students are the exact students that the Gilman Scholarship Program targets for awards, including first-generation college students, students with high financial need, and other traditionally underrepresented students. The award rate for this program stands at around 25%, remarkably high for a study abroad award, and higher among those students we coach through the application process.
Resources to get started
- Gilman Scholarship Program: information and application
- Understanding the Pell Grant
- Gilman Scholarship Program eligibility
- UC Merced information sessions on affordability, scholarships, and the Gilman Scholarship Program:
- Schedule an appointment with an advisor (please select the advisor assigned to the country where you intend to study)