In order to be included in the contest, all images must be submitted by 11:59 PM (PDT), Tuesday, September 19, 2017. Participants may submit as many as ten (10) photos. Photos must be assigned to one of the following categories:
|Bobcats Without Borders||Any shot of you or your friends wearing UC Merced or UCEAP clothes|
|Living Like a Local||Cultural events, festivals, holidays, or local activites|
|Landmarks & Landscapes||Popular places, landmarks, architecture, or vistas|
Each photo submitted will also be considered for the People’s Choice category.
The Office of International Affairs reserves the right to exclude any submissions the office considers distasteful. Photos submitted for previous contests will be excluded from this contest.
Contestants must be UC Merced Study Abroad Returnees and have an Instagram account. Peer advisors from the Office of International Affairs are ineligible to win prizes.
Photos should be high-resolution, colored, and unedited. We will not accept “filtered” photos.
How to Enter
- Submit photos, titles, categories, and descriptions on the UCM Study Abroad Returnee Photo Contest Submission Form. Photos must be received by 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, September 19 to qualify. Submit up to 10 photos taken during your study abroad period.
- Post your photo(s) on Instagram through September 19 at 11:59 PM (PDT). Enter early to maximize your number of votes for the People’s Choice category. NOTE: Your Instagram profile must be set to public (or we won’t see photos and neither will potential voters).
- Tag your photo(s) with #UCMPhotoContest2017 and @ucmstudyabroad.
- Use the comments to identify your photo and to specify the category. See example below.
- Share the contest and your photos with your friends. More likes = more votes!
Title: Waiting for Pompeii
Category: Living Like a Local
Description: I was doing some solo traveling to Pompeii this summer and I took this shot while waiting in the train station in Naples.
Anyone can vote for the People’s Choice photo. Voting will be open to the public but will take place on Instagram. To vote for People’s Choice, search for photos with #UCMPhotoContest2017 on Instagram and “like” the photo. The photo with the most “likes” on Instagram will win. Share with your friends!
Voting for People’s Choice will end on October 3 at 3:59 PM (PDT).
A panel of judges will determine the winners for the Bobcats Without Borders, Living Like a Local, and Landmarks & Landscapes categories.
Winning and Prizes
A panel of judges will determine the first and second place winner for Bobcats Without Borders, Living Like a Local, and Landmarks & Landscapes categories.
Winning the People’s Choice category is based on the recipient receiving the highest number of votes or “likes” on Instagram.
Only photos that were received by the Office of International Affairs through the UCM Study Abroad Returnee Photo Contest Submission Form will be considered for any category. In the case of a tie, the Office of International Affairs will randomly draw the contestants for ranking.
Prizes are as follows:
- First prize in each category (except People’s Choice) will be a $50 Amazon.com gift certificate.
- Second prize in each category (except People’s Choice) will be a $25 Amazon.com gift certificate.
- The winner of People’s Choice will receive a $75 Amazon.com gift certificate and a $75 STA Travel voucher.
- While students may enter in multiple categories, students may not win prizes valuing a combined total greater than $75. If a student's awards value greater than $75, prizes beyond the $75 cap will be awarded to the next highest ranking contestants.
Disclaimer and Consent
By uploading photos:
- You certify that any photos are yours and that you own the rights to distribute them as you see fit. You certify that these are not photos that do not belong to someone else and are not protected by any copyright.
- You grant permission to the University of California (including the UC Merced Office of International Affairs, the UC Merced Office of Communications, the University of California Education Abroad Program, and other University of California units) to reproduce any submitted images for the purposes of publicity, marketing, and communications. The images may appear in University catalogs, brochures, news releases, websites, general study abroad promotion and preparation materials, social media, and other communications or study abroad-related materials.